IMG_0618.JPG

Arria Washington


Click here to read about My Writing Thus Far

Click here to read about my Contributions to the Class Web Project

Scribus Poster:

For the poster project I chose to advertise an art workshop available to the whole community through the Adult and Continuing Education office. I wanted to use images that were eye-catching, and that let everyone know right away: this poster has something to do with art. Then I tried to make sure that the most important information was on the poster and easy to read. I hoped that the strong contrast between the colorful images and the black and white areas would help the text stand out and be easy to read.




Final Project Proposal:

Initially, I planned to write the first issue of a literary magazine for young adults, with a theme about life in your 20s. I was going to contribute my own poetry, and also collect poetry from other classmates. Then, when talking to Meghan F. McDonald and Melissa L. Askey, the three of us realized that we could all collaborate on a similar project. So we combined our ideas and decided to edit together a collection of our own creative writing. Below are my original proposal as well as our group'd proposal.

Original



Group



Final Project Peer Editing:

During peer editing I edited part of Joe's work. First I edited the overall content of the section. As someone who doesn't know a lot about wilderness survival, I tried to make sure the directions and tips were clear to me. I found the work easy to real and understand. During this read through I mainly made a few word choice and word order suggestions. Then in the next read through I tried to edit the grammar of the piece.

My peer editor was Aubrey. She helped me edit the grammar in some of Meghan's poems. I found her edits very helpful and I think they clarified the meaning of the poems and solidified the reading rhythm.

"The Lights" Style Sheet:

Tentative table of contents

• Cover
• Title page
• Explanation page
• Table of contents
• Contents
• About the authors

General conditions

• Using Scribus for page layout/design.
• Overall theme for literary magazine (images-wise) is the multiple forms of light.
• Contributing six pages of content each.

General Style

• Titles and headings should be in consolas font
Specific style: Lower case with period.
• Content/body font should be in consolas font.
• Color theme is dark purple.

Poem Content Style

• Capitalizing each line of poems and adding punctuation.
• Use columns – keep each poem on one page.
• Adding pull quotes and images to each page.
• Content length will determine body and title font size.
• Authors’ works will be mixed in (not sectioned off).
• Spacing between title and content should look neat.
• The author’s name should be in American Typewriter font, un-capitalized, in a smaller size than the title, aligned with the title.

About the author content style

• Third person classic style.
• Include: education, future aspirations, writing experience, hobbies.
• 300-500 words
•Title and body font will be the same in all three pages.
• Adding photo of author.

Stylesheet Created by : Meghan McDonald, Arria Washington, and Melissa Askey

Editing Phases of "The Lights":

First: In the first editing stage of the lights we chose 12 poems out of about 18 submissions. Each editor had a say in which of the other two writer's poems would be included, but was not involved in selecting their own poems. In this phase we also began our style sheet.
Second: After the poetry content was decided we each did our own initial grammar editing, and Meghan began the rough layout of the magazine. Meanwhile we also decided on the grouping and order of the poems, and then the other content.
Third: In the last editing phase we came together to agree upon the final grammar edits and the images and layout.


My Personal Contributions to “The Lights”:

As the macro editor of the lights I made final decisions on the content of the magazine. First I finalized which poems would go into magazine, and then I approved the grouping of the poem into two sections. Lastly I adjusted the order of the poems within each section, and tried create a progressive experience for the reader linking one poem to the next. For other content, I had the idea to add short biographies for each writer and contributor, and I wrote the “dear reader” introduction to the magazine.

In addition to my macro editing duties, I also edited each poem’s grammar meticulously so that I could make suggestions to Melissa, the micro editor. These can be seen in the editing binder. As for the layout and appearance of the magazine, I helped to choose and approve some of the images, and made suggestions for minor adjustments in coloring, spacing, etc.…

The most difficult part of this project was editing creative works. Even minor changes could change the meaning of the poem. Moreover, each change had to be agreed upon by three people, each of us with our own aesthetic. That said I’m glad that three different people with three different viewpoints edited the magazine. Because of this I think the magazine will be enjoyable to a wider audience. The most enjoyable of the project was really getting familiar with desktop publishing and realizing how much can be created with them. It was really this project that gave me the best understanding of Scribus. Overall I enjoyed the entire process of creating “The Lights”.